Monday, December 17, 2012

A Roman Goddess




Today I became a Roman goddess. I stood on the edge of ancient Rome, I shed my robe, and the masses clapped and cheered before my naked body. Bowing at my desperately-needing-a-manicure feet and dipping me into therapeutic, healing waters and saunas and steam rooms, with precise order of warm, and warmer, and hot enough to stripe my skin, and dip, and dunk, and warm, and freeze. My muscles, as stiff as any good marbled Roman goddess would be, melted under the hours of quiet and water therapy. 

Today, I went to Friedrichsbad,  the traditional Roman bath house in Baden-Baden Germany, naked as the day I was born. In front of other people. Yes. I did. And the best part? Child care for ten euros, total.  Two children. Three hours. Ten euros. Would I do it again? Yes, I would. No skivvies? No problem. Vielen dank!!!


Disclaimer: Okay, maybe no one ACTUALLY clapped and cheered before my naked body or bowed at my feet. But they should have. I was naked, for goodness sakes!! I think that justifies at least one round of the Hallelujah chorus. Right? Right????


No comments: